2013 Programs and Education
- Monthly General Meetings
- Audubon Resource Center at Lettuce Lake Park (a.k.a. 'ARC in the Park')
- Volunteer Training for work at 'ARC in the Park'
- Listing/Registration Form for 2013 Tampa Audubon Nature Camps at 'ARC in the Park'
- 2013 Interprative Nature Series (Adult) at Boyd Hill
- Florida Ornithological Society Spring Meeting ~ APRIL 19-21, 2013
Tampa Audubon Monthly Meetings
Tampa Audubon's Monthly General Meetings are open to members and non-members alike, and are held at the Hillsborough County Extension Office located at 5339 CR 579, Seffner, (1/2 mile south of exit 10 on I-4) on the 1st Thursday of each month. The 2012-2013 season runs from September through May.
The General Meeting schedule is as follows:
- 6pm - Photo Club meets
- 7pm - Potluck, Birdsightings, Announcements
- 7:30pm - Speaker
Our Remaining Program for 2013 (July through August is our Summer Hiatus - See Y'all in the Fall!)
- June 6: Water Quality (Dave Tomasko)
Dr. Tomasko is a Principal Technical Professional working in Integrated Water Resources in Atkins North America, based in Tampa. David was previously the Manager of the Southwest Florida Water Management District's Environmental Section. While employed with the District, David was the author of the Surface Water Improvement and Management Plans for both Sarasota Bay and Charlotte Harbor, documenting the resource management activities required to preserve and restore both those waterbodies. Since leaving the District, David's work has taken him to Puerto Rico and the US and British Virgin Islands. Over the past two years, David has also worked in Oman, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.
David will be discussing recent work in the Middle East, and how many of the issues now affecting places such as Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Saudi Arabia are similar to the issues that impacted Florida in the 1970s and 1980s. Lessons learned from Florida are being applied to projects in the Middle East, so that – hopefully - Florida's prior impacts to its coastal environments will not be fully repeated in this rapidly developing region.
ARC AT THE PARK
The Tampa Audubon Society, in cooperation with the Hillsborough
County Parks, Recreation and Conservation Department, has established
the Audubon Resource Center at
Lettuce Lake Regional County Park (ARC at the PARK) located at 6920 E. Flectcher Ave, Tampa, FL 33637. Mike Mullins is the Director at the center. The Resource Center was created to help foster a culture of conservation
and an environmental ethic in the Tampa Bay region and to encourage
community involvement in the Audubon mission. Check out the Nature Museum in the Visitor Center.
ARC at the Park:
- Provides a variety of environmental education programs and field trips for all ages.
- Displays wildlife native to the Hillsborough River watershed.
- Promotes Audubon Society membership and sponsorship for "Audubon Adventures" environmental education materials for local elementary schools.
- Assists park visitors with wildlife and plant identification.
We are in urgent need of additional volunteers to staff the facility. Volunteers commit to one Saturday or Sunday afternoon per month, from 1-5 p.m. Training is simple and available. The only skills you need is a love for the environment and a willingness to share a friendly smile with the visiting public. These 4 hours you spend a month are hugely rewarding. Please visit the ARC or email Mike Mullins if you are interested. If you know anyone that would like to become an active ARC volunteer, please share this with them.