2013 - 2014 Programs and Education
- Monthly General Meetings
- Audubon Resource Center at Lettuce Lake Park (a.k.a. 'ARC in the Park')
- Volunteer Training for work at 'ARC in the Park'
- Tampa Audubon is happy to offer the Natural Hillsborough: A 2014 Audubon Adventure series through the University of South Florida (USF) Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI). This wonderful series of 8 classes runs from Jan 21- Mar 11., Tuesday mornings 10 am -12 pm. You must first register through USF OLLI here.
The mission of Tampa Audubon is "to conserve and restore our ecosystems, focusing on birds, wildlife and their habitats through education, advocacy and community involvement." This year's adventure consists of a series of one-hour lectures followed by a one-hour field trip walk within Lettuce Lake Park. Develop an understanding of how to access and enjoy some of the unique features of the great outdoors of Hillsborough County. Topics include: introduction to birding, wildlife of the park, wetlands, bluebirds and boxes, birds of prey, wildlife habitats, herons and egrets, and Hillsborough's natural areas.
Tampa Audubon Monthly Meetings
Tampa Audubon's Monthly General Meetings are open to members and non-members alike, and are held at the Hillsborough County Extension Office located at 5339 CR 579, Seffner, (1/2 mile south of exit 10 on I-4) on the 1st Thursday of each month. The 2012-2013 season runs from September through May.
The General Meeting schedule is as follows:
- 6pm - Photo Club meets
- 7pm - Potluck, Birdsightings, Announcements
- 7:30pm - Speaker
Our Programs for the 2013-2014 season (July through August is our summer hiatus)
- September 5 - Screening of Green Fire
- October 3 - Eaglewatch Program Matt Smith, Eagle Watch Coordinator for Audubon Florida at the Birds of Prey Center in Maitland
- November 7 - To The Rescue: Reinier Munguia, President, Lake Region Audubon
- December 5 - Holiday Party: Breeding Bird Atlas with Dave Goodwin and Christmas Bird Count with Mary Keith
- January 2 - Hooked and Entangled Bird
- February 6 - Horseshoe Crabs and more: Tom Farrell, Tampa Audubon, Board of Directors
- March 6 - Swallowtail Kites: Dr. Kenneth Meyer, Executive Director of Avian Research and Conservation Institute, University of Florida
- April 3 - Earth Watch Vacations: Pam & Doug DeNeve
- May 1 - Habitats & Wildlife: Tammy Lyons, Tampa Audubon, Board of Directors
- June 5 - Beneficial Bats: Shari Clark, Bat Belfrys, Inc.
ARC AT THE PARK
The Tampa Audubon Society, in cooperation with the Hillsborough
County Parks, Recreation and Conservation Department, has established
the Audubon Resource Center at
Lettuce Lake Regional County Park (ARC at the PARK) located at 6920 E. Flectcher Ave, Tampa, FL 33637. Mike Mullins is the Director at the center. The Resource Center was created to help foster a culture of conservation
and an environmental ethic in the Tampa Bay region and to encourage
community involvement in the Audubon mission. Check out the Nature Museum in the Visitor Center.
ARC at the Park:
- Provides a variety of environmental education programs and field trips for all ages.
- Displays wildlife native to the Hillsborough River watershed.
- Promotes Audubon Society membership and sponsorship for "Audubon Adventures" environmental education materials for local elementary schools.
- Assists park visitors with wildlife and plant identification.
We are in urgent need of additional volunteers to staff the facility. Volunteers commit to one Saturday or Sunday afternoon per month, from 1-5 p.m. Training is simple and available. The only skills you need is a love for the environment and a willingness to share a friendly smile with the visiting public. These 4 hours you spend a month are hugely rewarding. Please visit the ARC or email Mike Mullins if you are interested. If you know anyone that would like to become an active ARC volunteer, please share this with them.