Programs and Education
- Monthly General Meetings
- Tampa Audubon is pleased to be offering once again the Natural Hillsborough: A 2016 Audubon Adventure Series through the University of South Florida Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (USF OLLI). This wonderful series of one-hour classes runs from Jan 26- Mar 15, Tuesday's, 10 am -12 pm. Course details and registration prerequisite are here. [Photo credit: Tammy Lyons]
- October 14-16: 2016 Florida Birding Festival
- Audubon Resource Center at Lettuce Lake Park (a.k.a. 'ARC in the Park')
- Volunteer Training for work at 'ARC in the Park'
Tampa Audubon Monthly Meetings
Tampa Audubon's Monthly General Meetings run from *September through May (no meeting in January) the 1st Thursday of each month and are open to members and non-members alike. Meetings are held at the Hillsborough County Extension Office located at 5339 CR 579, Seffner, (1/2 mile south of exit 10 on I-4).
*Note: There is also an annual joint meeting held every July with the Suncoast Native Plant Society and Tampa Sierra Club. Location is announced as we move closer to July.
The General Meeting schedule is as follows:
- 6pm - Photo Club meets
- 7pm - Potluck, Birdsightings, Announcements
- 7:30pm - Speaker
- March 3 - Doug & Pam DeNeve - "Nesting Strategies in Penguin Breeding Colonies"
In last two years, Doug and Pam DeNeve have had the opportunity to work as volunteers with researchers studying penguins in nesting colonies in South Africa and Argentina. In this program, Doug will share some of what they have learned while working on these projects. This will include both research results and personal observations related to penguin behaviors and survival strategies in the face of climate change and other threats. Join us for this discussion of these resilient and highly charismatic birds.
- April 7 - Marianne Korosy - Florida Scrub Jays
- May 5 - Photo Club Presentation
- Check back for details on upcoming programs in 2016
ARC AT THE PARK
The Tampa Audubon Society, in cooperation with the Hillsborough
County Parks, Recreation and Conservation Department, has established
the Audubon Resource Center at
Lettuce Lake Regional County Park (ARC at the PARK) located at 6920 E. Flectcher Ave, Tampa, FL 33637. Mike Mullins is the Director at the center. The Resource Center was created to help foster a culture of conservation
and an environmental ethic in the Tampa Bay region and to encourage
community involvement in the Audubon mission. Check out the Nature Museum in the Visitor Center.
ARC at the Park:
- Provides a variety of environmental education programs and field trips for all ages.
- Displays wildlife native to the Hillsborough River watershed.
- Assists park visitors with wildlife and plant identification.
We are in urgent need of additional volunteers to staff the facility. Volunteers commit to one Saturday or Sunday afternoon per month, from 1-5 p.m. Training is simple and available. The only skills you need is a love for the environment and a willingness to share a friendly smile with the visiting public. These 4 hours you spend a month are hugely rewarding. Please visit the ARC or email Mike Mullins if you are interested. If you know anyone that would like to become an active ARC volunteer, please share this with them.