Programs and Education
- Monthly General Meetings
- October 14-16: 2016 Florida Birding Festival
- Audubon Resource Center at Lettuce Lake Park (a.k.a. 'ARC in the Park')
- Volunteer Training for work at 'ARC in the Park'
Tampa Audubon Monthly Meetings
- Tampa Audubon's Monthly General Meetings run from September through May (no meeting in January) the 1st Thursday of each month and are open to members and non-members alike. There is also an annual joint meeting held every July with the Suncoast Native Plant Society and Tampa Sierra Club. The location is announced as we get closer to July.
- Meetings are held at the Hillsborough County Extension Office located at 5339 CR 579, Seffner, 33584 (1/2 mile south of exit 10 on I-4). Meetings are in the Conference Center, behind the main building. Enter through the black iron gate.
The General Meeting schedule is as follows:
- 6pm - Photo Club meets: Bring some of your recent best photos to share with the group, or just come to enjoy the pictures. Bring photos on a flash drive.
- 7pm - Potluck, Birdsightings, Announcements: Bring something to share if you can.
- 7:30pm - Educational program begins
September 1 - Rachel Arndt - Tampa Bay Watch
October 6 - Michael Brothers, Marine Science Center - Black-backed Gulls
November 3 - Ross Dickerson - Hillsborough County Conservation and Preservation Lands
December 1 - David Gordon - Quest Ecology - Burrowing Owl trans-location project, and Holiday Party
January 5 - Dr. Rick Raid, Univ of Florida - Barn Owls
February 2 - Beth Forys - Black Skimmers
March 2 - Jess Rodriguez - Red-cockaded Woodpecker
April 6 - Paul Gray, Kissimmee Prairie State Park - Grasshopper Sparrow
May 4 - Photo Club
ARC AT THE PARK
The Tampa Audubon Society, in cooperation with the Hillsborough
County Parks, Recreation and Conservation Department, has established
the Audubon Resource Center at
Lettuce Lake Regional County Park (ARC at the PARK) located at 6920 E. Flectcher Ave, Tampa, FL 33637. Mike Mullins is the Director at the center. The Resource Center was created to help foster a culture of conservation
and an environmental ethic in the Tampa Bay region and to encourage
community involvement in the Audubon mission. Check out the Nature Museum in the Visitor Center.
ARC at the Park:
- Provides a variety of environmental education programs and field trips for all ages.
- Displays wildlife native to the Hillsborough River watershed.
- Assists park visitors with wildlife and plant identification.
We are in urgent need of additional volunteers to staff the facility. Volunteers commit to one Saturday or Sunday afternoon per month, from 1-5 p.m. Training is simple and available. The only skills you need is a love for the environment and a willingness to share a friendly smile with the visiting public. These 4 hours you spend a month are hugely rewarding. Please visit the ARC or email Mike Mullins if you are interested. If you know anyone that would like to become an active ARC volunteer, please share this with them.